Erie County Farm Bureau Policies For 2012-2013
Accepted policies adopted September 5, 2012
We the members of the Erie County Farm Bureau resolve…
- Road Maintenance – We support mowing, at least the corners at intersections, more often to maintain visibility for safety on county and township roads.
- Farmers Markets – We support increased establishment of farmers’ markets to support consumption of locally grown foods for county residents.
- We support continued implementation of "central dispatch."
- Recycling – We support maintenance of local recycling centers with curbside recycling in metropolitan areas of Sandusky/Perkins and Huron, usage of Erie County Landfill recycling, and installation of compactors at township facilities.
- Lawn Chemicals – We support making more information available to the general public on the proper use of lawn/garden chemicals.
- Bicycle traffic laws – We support enforcement of traffic laws for bicyclists. Employers would be responsible for providing bicycle education and training information and be held accountable for reflective devices.
- Drug Drop off Sites – We support continued drug monitoring and enforcement programs and promote having drug drop-offs in secured locations for no longer needed medications.
- Water – We support Erie Soil and Water Conservation District 4R program of: right source, right rate of application, right time and right field to improve and maintain county land and water systems.
- Proof of Insurance – We support requiring drivers to show proof of insurance when renewing a license plate.
- Deer – We support reducing the deer population by increasing the bag limit and increasing the length of the hunting season.
- Drug Testing – We support drug testing for receiving government assistance.
- Algae – We encourage research for finding a useful purpose for the algae in Lake Erie.
- We support increased funding for drug, alcohol, and mental illness education.
- Distracted Driving – We support distracted driving (texting, cell phone, etc.) should be a primary offense and not a secondary offense.
- Noxious Weeds – We support the control of noxious weeds along state and interstate highways and intersections.
- NRCS – We support a revision of NRCS’s permitted practices for conservation programs to better serve the original intent of the program and to encourage participation. Example: Allowing harvest of filter strip and waterway could reduce dissolved reactive Phosphorus and provide a product of value to producer.
- Tax Incentives – We support the renewal of the enhanced income tax incentives for donated conservation and agricultural easements.
- Milk – We support offering school children the choice of 2% or whole milk as an alternative to 1%.
- EZ Pass – We support all states adopting EZ-Pass.
- Balanced Budget – We support a federal balanced budget.
- 1.Estate Tax – We support continuation of the estate tax exemption of five million dollars per person with a top rate of 35% and the addition of the surviving spouse being allowed to use the unused portion of the exemption.